Here is the highboy.

So far I have rejuv'd the end tables, highboy, lowboy and 7 drawer dresser. It has been easier than I thought. I did buy a Wagner power painter that really made the end result better than just a brush.
My technique:
Of course, remove hardware.
1. If you need to, lightly sand the piece with 350-400 grit. I did just for good measure.
2. KILZ the whole thing.
3. Let dry about an hour and you're ready to paint.
4. I used Behr Snowy Alpine for all the pieces. My husband said it made the room cheer-y.
5. In between coats that have dried AT LEAST 2 hours.........I sanded with 400 grit.
6. Add another coat and sand again.
At this point I am done.
Add your hardware back on or change it. I decided to keep the hardware it had. I like the way it looks with my decor.
My headboard is the last thing to rejuvenate. We have the headboard that Raymond and his wife have on Everybody Loves Raymond. Isn't that a hoot?

Dad and Porter watching videos on a rainy day
I'm thinking of an offbeat color. Maybe something in the pea green or yellow-green category. Something bohemian or Anthropology-ish. I dunno. I'll definitely do something to play up the little do-dad decorative thingy on it though. But I'll post it again on DIY Day.
Happy DIY'ing everyone. Thanks for droppin' in.
-Shannon in Austin ya'll
5 comments:
I'm convinced that white paint makes all furniture beautiful! Painting all of that furniture is an impressive undertaking!
Shannon, I have that same headboard and my dad is always telling me that "it's Raymond's bed". I actually have the whole bedroom set, I am dying to replace it but it's VERY low on the totem pole!!!! I wish I was as handy as you, going with a funky color sounds like a great way to update it.
Good for you! Repainting furniture well is SO hard. I have a bunch to paint that is overwhelming me! It is going to look great!
Don't you just love paint!! Great job!
Paint can make so many things look better!
Post a Comment